Sunday, February 14, 2016

Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation & Blender



I was excited to see that recently Maybelline had introduced a new foundation into their collection and was unable to resist the brand new stand in Superdrug. It featured  the Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft-Matte Hydrating Foundation and Dream Velvet Blender. Admittedly I am a sucker for a new display and I cant lie, the applicator really caught my eye as I am a huge fan of the Beauty Blender and use it every day. The Maybelline applicator looks like a sponge on a stick and I was looking forward to trying it out.
Although Maybelline Foundation has never been a staple in my makeup routine I swear by their Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer (I pick up a couple of the brightening shades whenever I'm in the USA as they don't sell it here) as I think it works wonders on my undereyes! I was really keen to try the foundation and was intrigued by the applicator!



Lets start with the positive! The Dream Velvet Foundation comes in a squeezable tube and is therefore perfect for travel. On initial application I feared that the foundation was going to be too thick. I prefer a lighter, buildable foundation and the Dream Velvet was quite difficult to get out of the tube such was its consistency!  However, It has a mousse like texture therefore it is much lighter once out of the tube. I have dry skin and would not normally reach for a foundation that bills itself as 'matte' however, I am pleased to say that I wore the foundation all day without primer (applied with a dampened Beauty Blender - more of that later!) and it did not once cling to dry patches or look flakey. I have reached for this foundation quite a few times since I initally wore it and it is easily a match for the Bourjois Air Mat Foundation that we recently reviewed here.  I tend to wear my foundation all day at work from 7.30am to 7pm and it definitely lasted the whole day with no issues to report.



Now for the Dream Velvet Blender...I wanted to like this. Really I did. But it just wasn't good for me. The original Beauty Blender is a holy grail item for me and I have tried all of its dupes....to no avail! The Dream Velvet Blender looks cute and dainty and would have saved me quite a few pounds if it did the job as well, however it was waaay too solid to seamlessly blend in the foundation. I simply found that it did not work. If you have found a way to make it work then I'd be interested to hear about it but used damp or dry it did nothing but smear the foundation about my face! I love the look of it but it seems to be a case of 'style over substance' I'm sad to say.

My advice would be to try the Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation. It gives a good medium coverage, feels light on the skin with no need for setting powder and lasts all day. As for the Dream Velvet Blender; leave it on the shelf and invest in the Beauty Blender instead.

Love Elle x

Have you tried either of these new Maybelline products? I'd love to hear what you think!


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I tried this foundation and it worked really well for me ! I love using drugstore foundations.

    http://themisslubna.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah we liked it too. Not too keen on the weird sponge thing though! Been trying out quite a few drugstore foundations lately. There seem to be so many coming out just now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been put off Maybelline foundations by too much of their Dream Matte Mousse in my teenage years... But this sounds quite nice!

    Jess xo | The Indigo Hours

    ReplyDelete

© Lynn and Aimee | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig